Onema Fields of activity
Onema, a driving force in reclaiming water and aquatic environments
Created by the 2006 Law on water and aquatic environments, Onema is a national agency whose
mission is to restore water and aquatic environments to good ecological status, the goal set by the European Water framework
Attaining good ecological status requires:
- preserving water quality,
- restoring river hydromorphology and continuity,
- improving water resource management,
- protecting biodiversity,
- inspecting use of water ressources.
For each of these fields, Onema works to:
- stimulate Research and Development,
- manage the French Water Information System (WIS-F) and produce data,
- protect aquatic environments by inspecting use
and enforcing regulations,
- support territorial management of water and restoration of aquatic environments.
The more recent results of these topics are presented here. Numerous projects are carried out with patners and their viewpoints are also presented.
Protect biodiversity |
Preserve water quality |
Improve resource management |
Diagnose physical alterations in rivers |
Restore ecological continuity |
Develop economic research |Run checks on resource use