The specific aims of ONEMA
A four part strategy
Onema stimulate Research
Protect aquatic environments
by inspecting use and
Manage the French Water
Information System (WIS-F)
and produce data
management of water and
restoration of environments
Onema responds to specific aims
- Onema organises and supplies high-level science advice, based on scientific knowledge, to support the formulation, negotiation, implementation and evaluation of public policy in the water sector.
- It participates in inspections on water usage and surveillance of aquatic environments, in prevention of damage to environments, in their restoration and in the preservation of biodiversity.
- It coordinates the information system and participates in acquisition of data on water and aquatic environments, in the related activities and services, and in making the information available to the public as well as to European, national and local authorities.
- It provides water managers with its technical support and field-acquired knowledge on the operation of aquatic environments.
- It participates in formulating and disseminating knowledge, in training water-management personnel and in raising public awareness concerning the good ecological status of water and aquatic environments.